Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chapter 8

Drawing Designs Ideas with Computer-Aided Design Software
Using computer-aided design software can be beneficial to students in the classroom. Teachers can use the CAD programs to help students think of ideas and design them using this software. A way that this can be incorporated into the classroom is by using this as a supplementary material when teaching science and math. The only problem I see with these types of programs is that is can be hard to work with and students might have trouble creating. If students are going to probably have trouble with these sorts of things then the teacher must know how to use it so that she/he can help students use it. I also feel like this can be more useful for older students rather than the younger students. If I was in a high school classroom I would use these types of programs in to help students design ideas in which they have thought of. Students can also design models of things that they already know about but can reinforce their knowledge by recreating it.

Testing Designs and Building Mental Models with Simulation Software
In this section, the book explains how to use simulations to support learning. When we learned about simulations earlier I knew that I would use this type of technology in my future classroom. Simulations do an excellent job in showing students why and how something works. So often students have trouble visualizing how something works. If teachers use some sort of simulation then students can better understand concepts. The Trebuchet simulation is a good example of a simulation that students can actively use in the classroom. Students can use this to better understand concepts in physics. Although I feel like this should be used for older students younger students could somewhat use this. A place in my classroom where I would use this program and other simulation programs would be at a computer center. Students can participate at these centers and explore through simulation on their own time and at their own pace.

In what ways can simulations be brought into curriculum?

Developing Programming Skills while Designing in the Media Arts
Before this class, I probably couldn’t tell you what programming skills consisted of. Since the last couple of weeks and after reading this section I have learned a lot about programming. Although it was a bit frustrating at the beginning, I think students would enjoy working with programming. The one programming program mentioned in the book is Scratch. I would use this in my classroom for students to make their own programs. Programming could be linked with projects and big concepts. Students could incorporate a game or activity to show that they comprehend and know the material. Another fun program that could be used in the classroom with younger students is iStopMotion. This program allows students to actively create movies and recordings. As a student I would have loved to have used this type of software to create different programs and projects. This is good because it can be incorporated into all subjects and can incorporate a technology aspect with what they are learning.

Designing Music with Composition Software
When I thought about incorporating music programs into my curriculum I would have thought that there wouldn’t be many things that could be done. After reading this section I realized that using music software can be an interactive way for students to enjoy and get involved with technology. A way that I would incorporate music and programs to create music would be when students are giving a presentation. I would require them to use music to help enhance the presentation and give it another element. Students will be able to make their own music or use something they already have. A program that students might enjoy using would be Impromptu. Students can use this to take pieces out of different music or create their own. Not only are music programs useful for creating music but also for voice recording. As a teacher I can require my students to have a voice element as well in their presentation or project. Most music programs are useful for students who need to record something. Another fun program that the book suggests for young students is Musical Sketch Pad. Students would enjoy playing with music and composing their own work. If this doesn’t fit into the curriculum, teacher could definitely use this during center time and students can CREATIVELY participate in making their own music.

What other ways can music and music programs be used in the classroom? Do you think students would enjoy using these types of programs?

2 comments:

  1. I really like your ideas for using the music programs in the classroom. I had some trouble coming up with uses and you have helped me better understand what the book was talking about. I do think children would enjoy these types of music programs and hopefully I will begin to understand them enough to use them in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    I really liked the way you set up your reflection. To answer your first question, I feel that simulations can be incorporated into the classroom in many ways. For example, they can use this program in science. Simulations allow students to build mental models of how the world works. To answer your second question, I think that music programs can be incorporated as a study tool. Students can create songs to help them memorize certain topics. Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete